McDonald’s (NYSE:MCD) will close all restaurants in the UK and Ireland by 7pm this evening, the fast food company announced in a statement on Twitter.
As the COVID-19 outbreak continues to evolve, the British government has been accelerating measures to contain the spread of the illness.
On Friday Boris Johnson told cafes, pubs, bars and restaurants that they must close their doors.
The hospitality sector is one of the latest to feel the strain of the outbreak as the situation continues to develop.
“We have taken the difficult decision to close all McDonald’s restaurants in the UK and Ireland by 7pm on Monday 23rd March at the latest,” a statement on Twitter announced.
“This is not a decision we are taking lightly, but one made with the well-being and safety of our employees in mind as well as in the best interests of our customers,” the statement continued.
“We will work with local community groups to responsibly distribute food and drink from our restaurants in the coming days.”
“Thank you to our brilliant employees for their hard work during this incredibly challenging time.”
“We look forward to seeing you all again as soon as it is safe for us to reopen.”
An update from McDonald’s UK and Ireland — See you soon pic.twitter.com/43moFRrWRR
— McDonald’s UK (@McDonaldsUK) March 22, 2020
Likewise, Nando’s has also closed its doors to help contain the spread of the virus.
“We have decided that the best course of action right now is to temporarily close our restaurants until further notice,” the restaurant chain also said in a Twitter statement.
Lots of love, Nando’s ❤ pic.twitter.com/OxIGVeU4S5
— Nando’s (@NandosUK) March 22, 2020
The Prime Minister also said last week that all schools in the UK are to close, but they are to make provisions for the children of key workers to support them whilst they help keep the country running.