Gfinity announces partnership to design the most advanced eSports facility yet

1
Gfinity plc and Ove Arup & Partners have announced a partnership to design the world’s most advanced integrated eSports facility. Both companies aim to combine their expertise to develop a blueprint for a specialist playing, watching, training, learning and broadcast facility. Additionally, the companies hope to unite gamers of all levels as they share experiences and compete.

If the blueprint succeeds, this will become the world’s most advanced integrated eSports facility.

Also known as electronic sports or competitive gaming, eSports is a form of competition using video games. The most common form of eSports is through multiplayer video game competitions. There has been an increased interest among game publishers, rights holders and sports franchises for dedicated eSports facilities. Indeed, this reflects the continued growth of the gaming market. From amateur level through to professional eSports, participation has soared. In fact, the global gaming and eSports community total 1.93 billion and 368 million respectively. Additionally, the number of people competing and watching eSports is growing by roughly 17% each year. Executive Chairman of Gfinity, Garry Cook, commented: “We are delighted to be working with Arup to design the world’s most advanced integrated eSports facility. The eSports professional and aspiring amateur learning their craft have similar needs to their counterparts in a host of other sports. Environments that optimise their ability to play and train to their highest potential is the difference between winning and losing.” Moreover, he added: “We will draw on our experiences of owning and managing Europe’s first eSports arena in London and engage with our community, which numbers tens of millions of passionate eSports players and fans, to hear what they have to say. The final design will be informed from the ground up. This is another example that the eSports industry is exciting, growing, full of opportunity and is now.” At 10:38 GMT, shares in Gfinity plc (LON:GFIN) were trading at -2.27%.

Lloyd’s of London returns to profit

1
Lloyd’s of London has returned to profit, posting a pre-tax profit of £600 million. Last year, the insurance market posted a loss of £2 billion following losses from a series of natural disasters. Bruce Carnegie-Brown, the Lloyd’s chairman, said at the time: “To date, the market has paid more than 50 percent by value of the claims notified in relation to Harvey, Irma and Maria, and is in the process of paying the rest.” The series of catastrophes such as hurricanes and wildfires seen in 2017 led the group cutting costs and improve its underwriting performance. Last year was Lloyd’s first loss in six years. Chief executive Inga Beale said: “These results and return to profit demonstrate the strength of the Lloyd’s market following one of the costliest years for natural catastrophes in the past decade.” “Whilst these results are welcome, Lloyd’s continues to concentrate on improving the Lloyd’s market’s long-term performance by taking action to address underperforming areas of the market.” Beale also commented on the group’s Brexit plans, with hopes to continue operating in the UK after it leaves the EU.
“We have also worked tirelessly to secure the Lloyd’s market’s access to the EU27 and our Lloyd’s Brussels subsidiary will start writing business in the European Economic Area from 1 January 2019,” she said. Beale will be replaced by QBE Insurance Group (ASX: QBE) boss John Neal, who is set to start on October 15.

Moss Bros shares plunge 29pc as group swings to loss

0
Shares in Moss Bros plunged 29 percent in early trading as the group swung into a loss in the first half of the year. The group reported pre-tax losses of £1.7 million compared to the profit of £3.9 million a year earlier. The retailer blamed the hot weather, supply chain issues and “the distraction of England’s success at the World Cup” for the drop in revenues. “As the extended period of hot weather arrived, coupled with the distraction of England’s success at the World Cup, customer footfall reduced in Q2 on average by -7 percent year on year and in the worst affected stores by up to -14 percent,” said Moss Bros. “Having assessed the quarter on quarter decline in footfall, we estimate that we were negatively impacted by around £2.7 million of retail store sales, which would have delivered c. £1.4 million of gross profit.” Analysts at City broker Peel Hunt wrote in a note to clients: “Trading levels have improved over the first seven weeks of H2, especially online, although this is still not enough to catch up to forecasts.” The broker has cut its full-year pre-tax profit forecast from £1.8 million to £0.5 million. The group’s chief executive, Brian Brick, said that while current trading was “showing a steady and improving trend”, the group is still likely to deliver an operating profit that was “materially lower” than the current market expectation of £2.3 million. Shares in Moss Bros (LON: MOSB) are currently trading down 15.89 percent at 39,11.

Wells Fargo to cut 10pc of workforce

1
US bank Wells Fargo has announced plans to cut as many as 26,500 jobs over the next three years. Boss Tim Sloan said on Thursday that the group, which employs 265,000 people, will reduce the workforce by between five and ten percent. “We are addressing past issues, enhancing our focus on customers, strengthening risk management and controls, simplifying our organisation, and improving the team member experience,” said Sloan. “This work includes strengthening risk management, simplifying operations, leveraging digital automation, divesting noncore businesses, and continuing to become a more efficient company,” he added. The California-based bank is attempting to recover from previous scandals, including in 2016 when it emerged that sales associates were opening millions of accounts without customer permission. The lender was fined a record $1 billion by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency. Wells Fargo hopes to cut overall expenses by $3 billion by 2020 as it has seen a 10 percent year-on-year decline in profit in the first six months of 2018. On Thursday, shares in the group (NYSE: WFC) closed up 0.6 percent at $55.55.  

Barclays internet banking is restored following glitch

1
Barclays (LON: BARC) online banking has been restored after customers were unable to access their accounts using online banking. The online banking was down between 10.45am and 5pm on Thursday, where customers saw the message: “5 – Sorry – Barclays Online Banking is currently unavailable”. Angry customers took to Twitter to express frustration. One person tweeted: “@BarclaysUK Pensioners are going without food … some of us can’t pay our rent … because of no access to our Barclays accounts. Corporate banking has ruined Barclays. How do you intend to compensate yr customers? When will the system be up and running? The only bank where it happens.” The bank released a statement on the website, which said: “We’re sorry if you’re unable to access online banking, telephone banking, or use some parts of our app. You can still check your balance and use most features in the app. Our teams are working to fix the problem … Thanks for your patience.” Following the bank’s glitch, the group added: “We’re very sorry about the technical problems our customers have experienced today. Everything is now back up and running and we’re really grateful for customers bearing with us.” Tashema Jackson, from uSwitch.com, advised Barclays customers and said: “If you think you’re facing a loss due to an unexpected online banking failure you can lodge a complaint with your bank for any financial damages incurred as a result of the disruption.” “If you don’t believe you complaint has been dealt with appropriately by your bank you can take your case to the Financial Ombudsman for review.” Barclays is the latest lender to face issues with its online banking. TSB customers were left without access to online banking for several weeks in April following an IT disaster.

French Connection blames House of Fraser for growing losses

0
French Connection has reported a big increase in half-year losses, blaming difficult conditions on the high street and the administration of House of Fraser. The fashion retailer made a loss of £15 million in the six months to July 31, compared to a £5.9 million loss in the same period a year previously. The increased loss has been linked to bad debts associated with House of Fraser’s administration. “We see this downturn as a structural event supported by the level of closures and CVAs in both the retail and leisure markets, particularly on the high street,” said the group. French Connection plans to close a further eight stores, where it “continues to review its store portfolio and exit non-profitable stores”. The retailer said: “we see this downturn as a structural event.” This highlights the difficult high street conditions, which has seen a number of retailers close non-profitable stores and apply for CVA agreements. For example, last week The John Lewis Partnership saw its half-year profits almost wiped out last week, as it was badly affected by heavy discounting by rivals. Stephen Marks, the chairman and chief executive, said: “There is no doubt that progress has not been helped by the trading conditions in which we operate in the UK, although we can take great confidence from the performance of the wholesale business and the stability of the licence income.” “The order books we have provide a clear outlook for the second half of the year in wholesale although retail continues to be challenging. We remain on target to return the business to profitability this year and we will be doing everything we can to ensure that happens.” Shares in the group (LON: FCCN) fell six percent on the results.

Ryanair boss survives AGM

0
Ryanair’s (LON: RYA) chairman has come out the other side of the group’s annual general meeting. Almost 30 percent of shareholders voted against the re-election of David Bonderman, whilst chief executive, Michael O’Leary had the backing of 98.5 percent of investors. Although the airline’s bosses remain at the helm, investors demanded change after a season of flight cancellations and strikes. Alison Kennedy, an investment director at Aberdeen Standard Investments, said: “Given the challenges the company faces, for example in union and labour relations, it is clear that governance needs to evolve. Strong, independent and visible board leadership is more important than ever.” Kennedy continued to say she hoped for “clear progress on succession for these two key board positions by the time of the AGM next year”. If there is no progress “we will vote against the re-election of Mr Bonderman, Mr McLaughlin and the other members of the nominations committee”. Following the meeting, O’Leary told the press that airline was “making good progress” on reaching an agreement with unions. However, he also said: “We are not simply going to roll over and concede to every demands the unions make. We will not and cannot concede to unreasonable demands.” The chief executive also told the press that the Ryanair board wanted to see him continue in his role for a further five years. “I’m not sure whether I want to sign up to another five years. That would take me up to 62. I’m not sure Mrs O’Leary would be happy,” he said. The Irish airline successfully agreed on a deal with Irish pilots and cabin over the summer but have yet to agree a deal with cabin crew based in Italy, Portugal, Belgium, Spain and the Netherlands who are planning to strike September 28.  

Clontarf Energy plc raises £500,000 through the placing of ordinary shares

0
Clontarf Energy has announced it has raised £500,000 (before expenses) through the placing of 135,135,135 ordinary shares. Each placing share was sold to new investors at a price of 0.37p. The placing shares represent roughly 18.85% of Clontarf Energy’s issued share capital as enlarged by the placing. Moreover, the company has announced how it will spend the fund. The net proceeds of the placing will cover the costs associated with the ongoing negotiations of its Ghanaian assets. Additionally, the fund will provide the company with additional working capital as it continues to assess new projects. Furthermore, the placing shares will rank equally with the company’s existing ordinary shares. An application will be made to admit the placing shares to trading on the AIM. This is expected to become effective around 26 September 2018. In addition to this announcement, Clontarf Energy also announced the submission of a proposal to explore Bolivia’s lithium-bearing salt-lake. Lithium from salt pans is currently in demand for high performance batteries. At 15:52 BST today, Clontarf Energy (LON:CLON) shares were trading at -20.78%.

Clontarf Energy plc submits proposal to explore Bolivia’s lithium-bearing salt-lake

3
Clontarf Energy plc has announced that it has submitted a proposal to explore the Lithium-bearing salt-lake in Bolivia. Currently, Lithium from salt pans is in demand for high performance batteries. Clontarf Energy is an emerging oil and gas exploration and production company. Moreover, it is currently focused on Africa and South America. Indeed, Clontarf Energy has been active in Bolivia since 2000 through the wholly owned subsidiary Petrolex SA. Director of Clontarf Energy, David Horgan, said: “We have re-established our presence in Bolivia, and have initiated discussions with the Bolivian National Lithium Company (YLB) on a possible joint venture to study and, if indicated, explore the second largest lithium brine deposit in the world.” “Between 2008 and 2010 Clontarf examined salt pan lithium deposits in Bolivia but we were unable to proceed at that time. Lithium from salt pans is in demand for high performance batteries.” However, the company also mentions that there is no guarantee that the proposal will lead to a binding contract. At 15:27 BST today, shares in Clontarf Energy plc (LON:CLON) were trading at -20.39%.

JD Wetherspoon’s, McDonald’s and TGI Fridays’ staff will strike

3
Staff at JD Wetherspoon, McDonald’s and TGI Fridays will partake in an unprecedented strike in the hospitality sector next month. In fact, more and more workers – who were not traditionally unionised – have joined a trade union after a campaign was launched to drive recruitment. On 4 October 2018, unionised workers will strike for £10 an hour and union recognition. The co-ordination between staff from different franchises is the first of its kind. A spokesperson for the Food and Allied Workers Union (BFAWU) confirmed the Guardian’s report. Workers at two Wetherspoon’s in Brighton are in fact preparing to join the strike. Additionally, the protest is expected to be joined by workers from three TGI Fridays outlets and four McDonald’s restaurants. Last year, McDonald’s workers held their first UK strike. This was in protest of zero-hours contracts and working conditions. A team Leader from one of the Brighton’s Wetherspoons, Chris Heppell, felt inspired by the McDonald’s strike. As a result, Chris and many other workers, joined the BFAWU. Chris Heppell is a 29-year-old graduate who has said that the majority of his monthly earnings go towards rent. He said:

“It’s impossible to save and you find yourself taking on more and more hours just to keep on top of the debt.”

Additionally, 19-year-old Wetherspoon’s kitchen worker Alex McIntyre also commented. According to him, working for JD Wetherspoon is “emotionally and physically draining”. “I have an overdraft and rarely have a full fridge. I just thought that was what student life was, but there’s a sense now that this could change. Being paid £10 an hour would mean that I literally don’t have to choose between a food shop or getting a long needed haircut – basic things that people take for granted.” “Now though, I’m being asked about union membership by friends and people from my generation on social media who wouldn’t have considered it before. The cards we have been dealt mean that a lot of us have tended to keep our heads down until now,” he said. Earlier this year, TGI Fridays came under fire for not paying its workers minimum wage. At 14:37 BST today, shares in JD Wetherspoon (LON:JDW) were trading at -0.15%. At 09:41 GMT -4 today, McDonald’s (NYSE:MCD) shares were trading at +0.63%.