David Davis makes shock exit from Brexit Secretary position

0
Brexit secretary David Davis has resigned from his Cabinet position on Sunday night, after saying he did not “believe” in Theresa May’s strategy. After nearly two years in his role, Davis tendered his resignation on Sunday saying that “the current trend of policy and tactics” was making it “look less and less likely” that the UK would leave the customs union and single market. In his letter, he added that he was “unpersuaded” that the government’s negotiating approach “will not just lead to further demands for concessions” from Brussels. He concluded by saying that “that the national interest requires a Secretary of State in my Department that is an enthusiastic believer in your approach, and not merely a reluctant conscript.” The resignation will come as a blow to Prime Minister Theresa May, possibly underscoring the lack of progress that has been made in negotiations since the vote in 2016. One or two of Davis’ junior ministers are expected to resign as well. Theresa May responded by thanking Davis for his service, but adding: “I do not agree with your characterisation of the policy we agreed at Cabinet on Friday.” Cabinet agreed a policy for progressing forward with the negotiations, which Davis said may “just lead to further demands for concession”.

Centamin gold production drops by 25%

Shares in gold miner Centamin (LON:CEY) fell over 6 percent at market open on Monday, after reporting a significant drop in gold production. The company said production had fallen by 25 percent in the second quarter, after reporting low grades at its mine in Egypt. It is undergoing a “transitional zone” at its Sukari mine but expects production to be “materially stronger” in the second half of the year. Centamin maintained current guidance figures of between 505,000 to 515,000 ounces of gold, after slashing expectations in May. “We have experienced several challenges this year, resulting in the revision of our full year guidance in May,” Andrew Pardey, chief executive, said. “I am pleased to report progress throughout June in the open pit, where mining has begun to access improved grades as we are currently mining through the lower areas of the transitional zone and into the sulphide ore, which will be mined in the third quarter and onwards for the next four years.” The miner was one of the biggest fallers of the miners on Monday. Sirius Minerals (LON:SXX) rose 0.6 percent after signing up to Redcar Bulk Terminal to provide port and ship loading services for up to 10m tonnes per annum of potash. Shares in Centamin are currently trading down 6.46 percent at 110.15 (0922GMT).

Park Group shares up after deal with Topshop owner

Park Group shares shot up over 2 percent on Monday morning, after agreeing deals with several big high street chains. The gift voucher supplier Park Group said it had signed contracts with retail businesses Arcadia Group, the owner of Topshop, Courtesy Shoes, Office Outlet, DJM Music and Fat Face. Park’s ‘Love2shop’ vouchers will now be accepted in all the above stores, a big coup for the gift voucher group. Fat Face would gain accreditation for Park’s e-money prepaid flexecash card by the end of Summer 2018. The new retail additions will mean that Park’s gift vouchers were now accepted by more than 175 national brands and over 20,000 high street stores across the UK, and almost 100 brands were now flexecash accredited, according to the company. Shares in Park Group (LON:PKG) are currently trading up 2.05 percent at 73.98 (0902GMT).

K3’s restructuring programme produces results

Software group K3 reported a small loss than last year, calling the results “encouraging” after seeing the benefits of a restructuring programme. Losses before tax fell to £1 million for the six months to the 31st May, down from £5.4 million the same period a year ago. Revenue rose 2.6 percent to £41.4 million, with £18.7 million recurring, and adjusted profits from operations swung to a £1.7 million profit compared with a loss of £3.1m the same period a year ago. The group said the results were largely due to their recent restructuring programme, which has led to a more “streamlined and integrated” business and had refocused growth. Gross profit rose 14.3 percent to £21.6 million, up from £18.9 million, with software licenses and streamlined operations contributing heavily. Their gross margin improved to 52.2 percent from 46.8 percent. “The second half is our stronger earnings period, reflecting the volume of software licence and support renewals in the final quarter of the financial year. “It has started very encouragingly, with a healthy pipeline in place, and this, together with expected high renewals, gives us confidence that the Group will make further progress over the remainder of the year,” said Adalsteinn Valdimarsson, Chief Executive Officer of K3.

Mothercare shares plunge as subsidiary Childrens World falls into administration

Mothercare (LON:MTC) announced the closure of more stores than previously expected on Monday, after the Childrens World company voluntary agreement (CVA) was rejected by creditors. Childrens World, a Mothercare subsidiary, had been seeking support in the form of a CVA to allow it to continue trading. After the CVA rejection, the group was placed into administration, with 13 of its 22 stores transferred to other Mothercare group companies. The extra stores will be closed, meaning the total store closures for the group will be higher than previously anticipated. The closures will put 900 jobs at risk, up from the 800 previously stated. Mothercare also provided a market update on Monday, saying that current trading “continues to follow the patterns seen in the second half of the last financial year, with challenging conditions in the UK and some stability visible in our international operations”. “When I joined the business just three months ago, Mothercare faced a bleak future with growing and pressing financial stresses upon the business,” interim executive chairman Clive Whiley said. “We have worked tirelessly as a team to get to where we are today and this fully underwritten equity issue marks the end of this initial phase, returning the group to financial stability.” The group also launched a £32.5 million equity issue as part of its re-financing plan announced in May, with new shares in the company being placed to existing shareholders at 19p a piece for each share already owned. Mothercare shares are currently trading down 8.57 percent at 26.15 (0827GMT).

Carillion collapse due to government’s “fundamental flaws”

1
An official report into the collapse of Carillion has shown “fundamental flaws” in the government’s approach to contracting. The report by the House of Commons public administration and constitutional affairs committee found that the government try to spend as little money as possible and force contractors to take high levels of financial risk. “It is staggering that the government has attempted to push risks that it does not understand on to contractors and has so misunderstood its costs,” said Sir Bernard Jenkin, who chairs the committee. “The Carillion crisis itself was well-managed, but it could happen again unless lessons are learned about risk and contract management and the strengths and weaknesses of the sector. Public trust requires that outsourcing better reflects public service values. The government must use this moment as an opportunity to learn how to effectively manage its contracts and relationship with the market,” he added. The report was published on Monday and found that has had to renegotiate over £120 million of contracts since 2016 in order to ensure the continuation of public services. Carillion collapsed in January under £1.5 billion worth of debt. The government refused to bail the construction company out. The group’s collapse means major construction projects, including the £335 million scheme to construct a new Royal Liverpool hospital, have been badly affected. The project has been put on hold until a new builder and funding can be allocated. A separate report in January blamed the collapse on Carillion’s “recklessness, hubris and greed.” A Cabinet Office spokesman has said that the government will respond to the most recent report. “The government is committed to ensuring a healthy and diverse marketplace of companies bidding for government contracts and we have recently announced a wide package of new measures to further improve how we work with our vendors,” said the spokesman.    

Carney tells Trump: trade war will hurt US

0
Mark Carney has warned Donald Trump that the escalating trade war will cost the world economically and damage the US most. The governor of the Bank of England said on Friday that further escalation would have serious consequences for global GDP and US growth could fall by up to five percent. Speaking in Newcastle, Carney said that the import tariffs imposed by the US and other countries were already slowing the global economy. “There is a growing possibility that trade uncertainty could crystallise the longstanding risks of a snap back in long-term interest rates, increased risk aversion and a general tightening in global financial conditions,” he said. Recent figures revealed by Carney showed that the American economy would suffer a 2.5 percent drop in GDP. The world economy would fall just over one percent. The hit to the UK would be “smaller, reflecting a greater exchange-rate driven boost to net exports”, he said. On Friday, the US imposed US tariffs on $34 billion (£25.7 billion) of Chinese goods. China shortly retaliated and imposed with a 25 percent tariff on US goods. Before the tariffs went through, China accused the US of “opening fire” on the world. Carney also hinted towards a rise in interest rates next month. “Domestically, the incoming data have given me greater confidence that the softness of UK activity in the first quarter was largely due to the weather, not the economic climate,” he said. “Overall, recent domestic data suggest the economy is evolving largely in line with the May Inflation Report projections, which see demand growing at rates slightly above those of supply and domestic cost pressures building. An ongoing tightening of monetary policy over the next few years would be appropriate.”  

Inmarsat shares plunge after rejection of EchoStar offer

Satellite company Inmarsat (FRA:IV4) saw shares plunge over 10 percent on Friday morning, after the group rejected a takeover from the US’ biggest satellite firm. According to Inmarsat, the $3.2 billion bid made by EchoStar “very significantly undervalued Inmarsat and its standalone prospects”. EchoStar already holds a small stake in Inmarsat, and said it will continue to pursue its interest in the group. “EchoStar continues, however, to seek engagement with the board of Inmarsat on a constructive basis, with a view to agreeing the terms of a recommended offer,” the company said. EchoStar’s offer valued the group at 532p a share, with many believing Inmarsat’s board will want a much higher offer in order to win over shareholders. London-based Inmarsat employs more than 1,500 people and has 13 satellites in orbit. It has provided technology used by the British armed forces, although its largest single customer is the US military. Shares in Inmarsat are currently trading down 7.74 percent at 5.48EUR (1000GMT).

Stobart Group boosted by five year partnership with Ryanair

Airport owner Stobart Group (LON:STOB) said it had started the year ‘trading satisfactorily’, boosted by the beginning of a new five-year partnership with Ryanair. The group made the comments ahead of the company’s AGM, saying it remained on track to deliver its medium-term objectives, including growing its London airport in order to welcome five million passengers a year by 2022. “Since stepping into my role last year, we have made significant progress across our business divisions, and continue to focus on delivering on our ambition to double the value of the business by 2022,'” Stobart Group said. The company has set targets to supply over three million tonnes of renewable energy fuel per annum by 2022. ‘We have seen strong progress at London Southend Airport, with the announcement of a new five-year partnership with leading low-cost airline Ryanair,’ Stobart said. The five-year agreement, extendable to 10, includes a $300 million investment on Ryanair’s part as as well as operating three planes out of the airport. Shares in Stobart Group are currently trading up 3.94 percent at 237.50 (0947GMT).

Rolls-Royce sell marine business to Kongsberg

Rolls-Royce (LON:RR) shares sunk slightly in early trading on Friday, after the group announced that it had agreed to sell its loss-making commercial marine business to Norway’s Kongsberg for an enterprise value of £500 million. Net proceeds are expected to be between £350 million and £400 million, after taking pension liabilities and other costs into account. The move comes as part of a wide-ranging restructuring plan for Rolls-Royce, which aims to save £400 million a year. The business has about 3,600 employees, mainly based in the Nordic region, and the sale includes propulsion, deck machinery, automation and control, a service network spanning more than 30 countries and ship design capability. “This transaction builds on the actions we have taken over the last two years to simplify our business,” Rolls-Royce chief executive Warren East said. “The sale of our commercial marine business will enable us to focus on our three core businesses and on meeting the vital power needs of our customers.” Shares in Rolls-Royce (LON:RR) are currently trading down 0.53 percent at 980.00 (0925GMT).