Sports Direct buys Glasgow House of Fraser in £95m deal
RBS pays first dividend since financial crisis
Chinese exports rise despite Trump tariffs
Unlikely surge
In a note to clients, Julian Evans-Pritchard, senior China economist at Capital Economics said: “The big picture is Chinese exports have so far held up well in the face of escalating tensions.” Mr Evans-Pritchard suggested that a rise in competitiveness due to a weaker renminbi may have caused the exports surge. Mr Evans-Pritchard also predicted that this performance would not endure: “With global growth likely to cool further in the coming quarters and US tariffs set to become more punishing, the recent resilience of exports is unlikely to be sustained.” These figures emerge after the US imposed new 10% tariffs on a further $200 billion of Chinese goods on 24th September. These accelerated numbers indicate that China is buffeting the first effects of new tariffs that the Trump administration imposed on $50 billion of Chinese exports this summer.Midterms tension
Li Kuiwen, the spokesman for China’s customs agency, said: “There are many uncertain and unstable factors in the international environment, and the China-US trade friction is constantly escalating.” The data, announced by China’s custom’s agency, is the last to be released before the 6th November US midterm elections and may exacerbate tensions with Washington. Last month, Donald Trump accused China of meddling in the midterm elections at the UN, declaring: “They don’t want me or us to win because I am the first president to ever challenge China on trade.” Trump threatened in September to place tariffs on all Chinese exports altogether, representing $267 billion of exports, with tensions continuing to rise and China matching existing tariffs dollar for dollar.Cheese company Ornua begins stockpiling in case of hard Brexit
Ikea opens central London ‘planning studio’
Patisserie Valerie: Finance director arrested
Julie Palmer, from the accounting firm Begbies Traynor, said on Friday that the winding-up petition was issued last month, and Patisserie Valerie has 21 days to deal with the issue.
“”There is a whole sequence of events here where we’re talking about a listed company which until Wednesday was worth over £400 million,” she said.
“It is actually quite staggering that [the winding-up petition] has happened without any notification to the stock market and I believe even the board said they weren’t even aware this had been served on the company.”
The chain was valued at £450 million on the stock exchange before the crisis emerged.
Luke Johnson, the chairman and owner of a 37% stake in the group, said on Wednesday: “We are all deeply concerned about this news and the potential impact on the business. We are determined to understand the full details of what has happened and will communicate these to investors and stakeholders as soon as possible.”
