Using pensions to buy houses will be a disaster for property prices & your retirement
Pensions Minister, Guy Opperman, said in a webinar that he wanted to explore ways for the auto-enrolment pension system to be adjusted, to allow buyers to borrow from their pension pots for property deposits.
Kainos shares surge 28% on “strong trading performance”
Kainos shares (LON: KNOS) surged 28% on Wednesday morning after the IT provider shared a “very strong trading performance”.
Customer demand remained high from 1 April 2020 to date and the group expects full-year results ending 31 March 2021 to be ahead of expectations.
“As referenced in our September update, our Digital Services customers continue to prioritise digital transformation programmes in the NHS and Public Sector, and as a trusted partner to the UK Government, we continue to support these critical, long-term programmes,” said the group in a statement.
“Our Workday Practice continues to benefit from its international scale and an ability to secure new consulting contracts across all our geographies. Alongside these engagements, our specialist Workday automated testing platform, Smart, continues to support over 200 international clients and to drive new client acquisition, especially within the US market.”
The FTSE 250-listed firm also said that trading had been strengthened from several changes including increased utilisation and reductions in recruitment, training and travel expenditure.
Earlier this year, the group acquired Intuitive Technologies LLC. Commenting on the acquisition Brendan Mooney, CEO, said: “I am delighted to welcome the IntuitiveTEK team to Kainos, and into our ever-expanding Workday practice. The team’s expertise, excellent reputation, and passion for building strong customer relationships aligns with our business, and we look forward to having them on board.
“As a leading Workday partner, we see this acquisition as an important step to deepen our expertise in Adaptive Insights Business Planning Cloud in the United States, where we continue to see growing demand from clients in modernizing their planning and financial management processes,” he added.
Results for the six months ending 30 September 2020 will be made on 16 November.
Kainos shares (LON: KNOS) are currently trading 27.84% higher at 1.304,00 (1051GMT).
G4S shares dip as revenue falls
G4S shares (LON: GFS) dipped 2% on Wednesday’s opening after the group reported a fall in revenue for the first nine months of the year.
Revenue fell 2% over the period, however, the group saw profits for the same period ahead of last year thanks to “tight direct and indirect cost control and reduced interest costs.”
“G4S today is a focused global business delivering integrated security solutions which combine our risk consulting, security, technology and data analytics capabilities,” said chief executive, Ashley Almanza.
“The benefits of our strategy, strong execution and rapid response to Covid-19 continue to be reflected in the group’s results during 2020 with resilient revenue, earnings and cash flow.
“I would like to thank our customers and employees for their commitment to G4S during these challenging times,” Almanza added.
The group is currently in a hostile takeover bid with Gardaworld. Gardaworld has appealed to G4S shareholders by and has criticised the firm’s directors and accused them of acting in a “cavalier manner” after directors have rejected several approaches in recent months.
G4S shares (LON: GFS) have recovered and are steady at 209,70 (1037GMT).
IMF World Economic Outlook predicts ‘deep recession’ with 4.4% global contraction
In its latest, unsurprising but painful prognostication, the IMF World Economic Outlook projected what it described as a ‘deep recession’, with global growth expected to fall to -4.4%.
Speaking ahead of the WEO forecast, IMF chief economist Gita Gopinath said:
“So we continue to project a deep recession in 2020 with global growth projected to be -4.4%. This is a small upgrade relative to our June numbers. We expect growth to rebound partially in 2021, coming back to 5.2 percent. However, with the exception of China, all advanced economies and emerging and developing economies, excluding China we are projecting output will remain below 2019 levels well into 2021. Therefore, we see that the recovery from this catastrophic collapse will likely be long and even highly uncertain,”
Gospinath argued that as world economies attempt to bounce back from COVID turmoil, there are challenges yet to be faced, but also a real opportunity for the situation to improve.
“There are broad risks to the upside and to the downside. On the upside, we could have positive development in terms of treatments and vaccines that could hasten the end of this health crisis. And we could also have more policy support that would help. But there are many downside risks. We could have worse news on the health front, and we could have greater financial turmoil at a time when debt is at the highest level in recorded history. And we have rising geopolitical tensions that could also derail the recovery,” she said from her home in Boston.
She added that the road to recovery will be a difficult one, but offered some suggestions on how policies could be designed to put economies back on a growth trajectory.
“First, it is essential that fiscal and monetary policy are not prematurely withdrawn as this crisis is far from over. Second, we need much greater international collaboration to end this health crisis by making sure that when once new treatments and vaccines are available, then it will be produced a sufficient scale to be available widely in all countries. And lastly, policies should be designed towards putting economies on a path towards more sustainable, inclusive and prosperous growth,”
Despite Gospinath’s cautiously optimistic outlook, the IMF red growth percentage will be another reason for global equities to feel the burn at the start of a challenging week.
Political tensions leave a bitter taste, with Brexit and the US Presidential Election creating opportunity for unknown downsides and poor sentiment between now and Christmas.
Pressure now mounts on policymakers, to decide whether or not lockdown part 2 is the correct path. The WHO are stressing that lockdown should be avoided if possible, and stated that the lockdown earlier in the year – as a result of diminished trade and travel – pushed around of quarter of a billion people back into poverty. All most of us can do is shelter our money, and hold on for what will likely be a harsh winter.
JP Morgan beats analysts’ expectations, profits soar
JP Morgan has a strong third quarter, with revenue and profit jumping amid the Corona-uncertainty.
Trading beat analysts’ expectations during the period, with revenues growing from $9.52bn to $11.5bn. Profit soared from $2.83bn to $4.3bn.
Jamie Dimon, Chairman and CEO, commented: “JPMorgan Chase earned $9.4 billion of net income on nearly $30 billion of revenue and we maintained our credit reserves at $34 billion given significant economic uncertainty and a broad range of potential outcomes.
“We further strengthened our capital and liquidity position, increasing CET1 capital to $198 billion (13.0% CET1 ratio, up 60 basis points after paying the dividend) and liquidity sources to $1.3 trillion. The Corporate & Investment Bank continues to be a big driver of Firm performance with Markets revenue up 30% and Global IB fees up 9%.
“CIB and Commercial Banking continue to attract and retain deposits given our strong client franchise as our clients remain liquid. Asset & Wealth Management generated record revenue and net income and saw strong net inflows into long-term products,” added the JP Morgan chief executive in a statement.
Meanwhile, rival Citigroup saw profits falling 34%, however, earnings per share of $1.40 beat analysts’ expectations. Citigroup shares fell over 3% on the news.
OnTheMarket reveals busiest ever quarter – shares fall
OnTheMarket shares (LON: OTMP) took a tumble on Tuesday after the group its latest results.
Despite its busiest ever quarter, shares in the property group fell by almost 4% in afternoon trading.
In the six months to July 31, OnTheMarket saw revenue rise 28% to £10.2m and achieved profitability “as a result of measures implemented to reduce costs and conserve cash.”
As lockdown restrictions were eased, the group saw pent-up demand and year-on-year visits in July 2020 increased 173% to 27.5m and average leads per advertiser increased 56% to 148.
Clive Beattie, acting chief executive, commented:
“We started the year strongly with trading in February and the first half of March in line with management expectations. However, the first half of the financial year quickly became dominated by the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Our focus during the period has been to safeguard employee well-being, provide value and support to our agent and housebuilder customers and to manage costs and conserve cash.
“We have been particularly pleased with the strong consumer engagement with the portal since the easing of national lockdown restrictions in May, with record leads indicating that those consumers most active in the property market visit OnTheMarket.com.”
OnTheMarket shares (LON: OTMP) are trading -3.56% at 97,89 (1505GMT).
New Mexico nudges towards carbon neutral future
New Mexico has announced that it is set to launch a new ‘smart infrastructure’ and carbon neutral energy era alongside Agile Fractal Grid and Cityzenith, following the 2019 Energy Transition Act (ETA) granting the US state the position of global leader in the fight against climate change.
The partnership between energy supplier The Agile Fractal Grid (AFG) and software firm Cityzenith will see New Mexico develop a novel integrated power and broadband network which is expected to ‘transform life and the economy’ across the state and eventually ‘ripple outwards as other energy operators, states and nations see the benefits’.
The project’s developers have hailed its potential to generate ‘1,000s of new businesses, 100,000s of new jobs, better and faster data links, higher infrastructure efficiency, and up to six new smart cities’.
New Mexico – the 5th largest US state with a population of 2.35 million and GDP of $104 billion – has also announced its plans to replace its fossil fuel power with a cleaner ‘smart energy’ network, making use of the country’s rapidly-growing carbon neutral wind and solar energy markets.
Citizens will get to experience ‘smart’ IT benefits across ‘entertainment and hospitality venues, retail, transport hubs, health and hospitals, security, telecoms, power utilities, employment, and manufacturing’.
At the heart of the project is Cityzenith’s SmartWorldPro – the world’s most advanced Digital Twin platform – whose software will provide ‘efficient design before construction’ and also ‘streamline [the] ongoing operation and development of the new assets’.
Cityzenith CEO Michael Jansen welcomed New Mexico’s announcement:
“It’s the kind of visionary project SmartWorldPro was designed for and we are already modelling New Mexico’s biggest city, Albuquerque (915,000) before rolling out across the state over a 10-year program.
“SmartWorldPro can integrate with AFG’s futuristic portfolio of AI, smart building, and other technologies towards a ‘Smart Connected Community’ for cities, large venues, and even whole states.
“It’s easy to see the benefits for New Mexico, but this cutting-edge technology can go global, pushing back against urban pollution and Climate Change and trillions in economic and environmental damage”.
AFG CEO John Reynolds added:
“The project is a highly efficient deployment of services for 21st century public, commercial, and industrial needs.
“Cityzenith’s SmartWorldPro means we can show and deliver this data-rich ‘smart lifestyle’ to everyone in New Mexico – urban and rural.
“Longer-term, this sustainable power, comms, and lifestyle ‘reset’ could span North America, and national 10GB broadband may be just 10 years away”.
Last month, Cityzenith pledged its SmartWorldPro platform to helping the world’s most polluted cities achieve carbon neutrality.
Jansen commented on the firm’s ongoing projects towards carbon neutrality:
“The world’s top 100 most-polluting cities produce 18 per cent of global urban emissions and we will meet this challenge head-on, by going right to the biggest contributors first.
As one megacity reaps the benefits, so others and governments will follow their example. What works for one will work for all”.
French Connection posts 53% fall in revenue, shares fall
French Connection shares (LON: FCCN) fell 16.52% on Tuesday afternoon as the group revealed pre-tax loss to widen in the six months ending 31 July 2020.
The fashion retailer posted a pre-tax loss of £13.2m. This is in comparison to the loss of £4.6m loss a year previously.
French Connection also reported a 53.1% fall in revenue down to £23.9m “predominantly owing to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.”
Retail revenues for the period were £10.1m, down 57.6% from £23.8m. The group said this “reflects both the lockdown period but also the permanent closure of nine retail locations in the first half.”
Stephen Marks, chairman and chief executive said: “This has undoubtedly been the most difficult trading period that the Group has ever faced and I would like to thank our staff, both those who have kept the business running and those who have been on furlough, for their ongoing commitment to French Connection.
“Despite the unprecedented difficulties we continue to face alongside the rest of the High Street, having been able to secure the necessary financing we feel that we are well positioned to navigate an extended period of uncertain consumer demand but also ready to capitalise on any opportunities that may arise especially given the good performance of wholesale, while maintaining a very tight control of costs,” he added.
French Connection shares (LON: FCCN) are currently trading -17.65% at 7,37 (1427GMT).
